Published Dec 07, 2017No strangers to collaboration, Laurie Anderson and Kronos Quartet have announced a team-up for a new LP set to arrive next year.
Titled Landfall, the 30-track disc will arrive February 16 through Nonesuch. Inspired by Anderson's experiences during Hurricane Sandy, the album features tracks titled "CNN Predicts a Monster Storm" and "The Electricity Goes out and We Move to a Hotel."
Anderson elaborated on the record's sound in a statement:
These are stories with tempos. I've always been fascinated by the complex relationship of words and music whether in song lyrics, supertitles or voice over. In Landfall, instruments initiate language through our new text software, erst. The blend of electronic and acoustic strings is the dominant sound of Landfall. Much of the music in this work is generated from the harmonies and delays of unique software designed for the solo viola and reinterpreted for the quartet. In addition, there were elements of the optigan, a keyboard that uses information stored on optical discs.
Read through the tracklisting to hear "We Learn to Speak Yet Another Language" in the player below.
1. CNN Predicts a Monster Storm
2. Wind Whistles Through the Dark City
3. The Water Rises
4. Our Street Is a Black River
6. Darkness Falls
8. Dreams Translated
9. The Dark Side
10. Built You a Mountain
11. The Electricity Goes out and We Move to a Hotel
12. We Learn to Speak Yet Another Language
13. Dawn of the World
14. The Wind Lifted the Boats and Left Them on the Highway
15. It Twisted the Street Signs
16. Then It Receded
17. The Nineteen Stars of Heaven
18. Nothing Left but Their Names
19. All the Extinct Animals
20. Galaxies II
21. Never What You Think It Will Be
22. Thunder Continues in the Aftermath
23. We Blame Each Other for Losing the Way
24. Another Long Evening
25. Riding Bicycles Through the Muddy Streets
26. Helicopters Hang Over Downtown
27. We Head Out
28. Everything Is Floating
29. Gongs and Bells Sing
30. Old Motors and Helicopters