Harold Budd Celebrated by Loscil, Christopher Willits, Marsen Jules on New 'Lost in the Humming Air' Tribute Comp
Published Mar 22, 2012American ambient/modern classical composer Harold Budd started his recording career over 40 years ago, issuing 13 proper full-lengths on top of countless EPs, soundtracks and compilations. There's an overabundance of material that could have been selected for new tribute compilation Lost in the Humming Air, from solo stuff to his shared output with Brian Eno, Jah Wobble, U2, Daniel Lanois, and more. But the Oktaf label, who will issue the set April 9 in the UK, opted to go for something more unique than a straight-up covers LP.
A press release explains that instead of scouring for cover versions of Budd classics, the label asked each artist involved to produce a track that "resembles the music of Harold Budd or channels the influence he had on them as musicians."
Musicians included on the collection include experimental Ghostly International composer Christopher Willits, moody soundscapist Marsen Jules and Vancouver-based electronic artist Loscil. You can check out the tracklisting, as well as a sampler containing 30-second clips from each of the record's tracks, down below.
Lost in the Humming Air (Music Inspired by Harold Budd):
1. Deaf Center - "Plateaux"
2. Loscil - "Rye Fields"
3. Martin Fuhs - "untitled.eleven"
4. Biosphere - "Det Var Kulmørkt Hjem"
5. Xela - "The Only Rose"
6. Marsen Jules - "Sunrise On 3rd Avenue"
7. Andrew Thomas - "Hushhh (Variation 2)"
8. Mokira - "Harold Dubb"
9. Christopher Willits - "Olancha Hello"
10. Taylor Deupree - "Sleepover"
11. Rafael Anton Irisarri - "Gloaming
12. Porn Sword Tobacco - "Painting World War 3"
13. bvdub & Criss Van Wey - "My Father, My Friend"